Monday, June 8, 2020

Official Godzilla Store in Shinjuku

Ok, I admit it. I love this place. I grew up watching Godzilla movies with my brother. Sure, a lot of them are cheesy (Godzilla's Revenge... ugh, kill me... and please don't mention the android running in 1991's Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah) but the original is a classic, and I love Shin Godzilla as well. At its best, Godzilla is a brilliant dark metaphor for the awful destructive power of atomic energy (even children die of radiation in the original... talk about dark but realistic). There is a reason Criterion gave the Showa Era films the deluxe treatment. Cockroach spacemen, monkey spacemen, singing magical mini twins, whatever, I'm all in. Godzilla movies rule especially the earlier ones (but I would not recommend the English dubbing... horrendous). I'm a huge fan so visiting the Official Godzilla Store in Shinjuku is a blast, and I always like to see what's new. Whatever kind of Godzilla memorabilia you want, they got it: honey pies, curry, chopsticks, socks, magnets, stickers, pens, toys, file folders, heck even Godzilla toilet paper (I kid you not). It's heaven to a kaiju fan (hell to your wallet though). Closed during the pandemic, it has now reopened (photos are pre-virus nightmare). Every once in a while, you get new exclusive Bandai figures that debut there so I love to randomly visit, hoping they'll have something (yes, my life is that sad). If you're a Godzilla fan, Tokyo is where it's at. Tons of stores here with Godzilla goods (Mandarake in Nakano, Shibuya, Akihabara, etc. and the Monster Lab in Akihabara with all kinds of super rare Godzilla but some sadly not for sale).


No comments:

Post a Comment